Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Unconditional Love, Real Love...do limits ever apply

What is unconditional love? Is true love the same as unconditional love? In true love and/or unconditional love...can there be limits?

I am pondering these questions after a conversation I had with two of my BFF's yesterday. Surprisingly this same topic came up today but it was a guy friend on the other side of the country that brought it up.

I think unconditional love means just that..."No Conditions". Do I think its possible to truly love someone with "no conditions"...yes, I do. Now I vary on thinking, believing and/or feeling if true love and unconditional love are one in the same . Sometimes I think yes it can be and then there are other times in which I would have to say, no it is not.

True unconditional love takes time and it requires a lot of work. A lot of people say they want this kind of love and that it is so hard to find. I don't think its so hard to find, it is hard to keep. We have become a society of instant gratification in a lot of ways. We want everything yesterday. Instant this, drive up that, lunch in 15 minutes or its free, etc. A lot of people are not willing to put in the time and the work to keep and work at making that true unconditional love work and grow. With true unconditional love you do not love someone because of...you love them in spite of.

True unconditional love knows or have any bearers or boundaries. True unconditional love is color blind; it forgives & forgets, gives and receives, shares and cares, hope & dreams, supports and never fades. It is falling in love again and again with the same person over and over again. It is when without thought that persons well being is a fore-thought and not an after thought.

Do not mistake true unconditional love with that fairy tale type love. In true unconditional love you will have disagreements, get angry and some days may not even like the other person. However, you will always love, respect and cherish each other and your differences.

Now for the true love WITH conditions.... You can truly love a person however it is almost always followed with a "BUT". For example, you may truly love a person for how they treat you or how they make you feel but you can not see yourself spending the rest of your life with them. Or you may truly love a certain aspect of a person but not love the person as a whole.

With that being said, I leave you with this question...is it right to truly love someone with conditions?

1 comment:

  1. I say NO it's not right when it's a healthy love including the good, bad, and ugly, you accept it all, work it out and truly love with NO conditions. I say Yes with conditions when it's unhealthy, it's your right. To truly love someone with conditions could be you knowing and loving yourself that this love I have for this being is retarding my growth emotionally and/or spiritually. I also must add that you must truly unconditionally love yourself before you can reciprocate the genuineness of truly loving someone else. But when you love someone with conditions: such as when they present destrution/hate; then your conditions is to leave them behind because of the love you have for self.

    ReplyDelete